12 March 2006

Tracking a Mountain Lion


This morning, I walked down to get the paper. Sound familiar? See this post. I crossed ANOTHER set of lion tracks. I rounded up my posse of lion trackers, Margit & Julia, from inside the house ... and grabbed a ruler this time.

We followed the tracks back. They came from Timber Lane and walked up the property line next to 67 Wild Horse Circle, crossed our property, 69 Wild Horse, and continued uphill to the west onto the neigboring property. The picture shows Steve and Julia measuring a track.

I measured a number of tracks. They measured from 2-1/2" long x 2-1/4" wide to 3-1/4" long x 3" wide. I've added the track pictures to a Flickr album here. You can decide yourself how large they are. Also here's a very clear shot of a lion's 3 lobed pad.

Margit made a very obvious but also an astute observation. "These lions are not just walking here because of the snow. They're here all the time."

By the way, I know the correct common name for mountain lion is cougar .. :-)

No comments: